Hemoglobin Level Chart: To keep the body healthy, it is necessary to have sufficient amount of protein, vitamins and other essential nutrients. Many types of problems arise due to lack of nutrients in the body. Decrease in hemoglobin is one of them. If there is a deficiency of iron in your blood, then your body may get many diseases. This can make the body weak as Iron deficiency can lead to anaemia. Due to the deficiency of Hemoglobin in the body, hemoglobin level decreases, due to which a person will feel tired and weak.
Not only this, due to low hemoglobin level, there can be problems in our kidneys as well. However, you can complete the hemoglobin deficiency by increasing many such things in your diet. Iron deficiency can be overcome by including salads, green vegetables, fruits and nuts in your diet.
What is Hemoglobin?
Hemoglobin is a type of protein found in red blood cells. Due to the decrease in hemoglobin, the amount of blood in the body decreases. The risk of anemia increases when the amount of blood decreases. In some cases, anaemia can also prove to be fatal. According to the doctor, the risk of anaemia can increase due to hemoglobin.
If the amount of hemoglobin during the test is less than 13.5 g / dl in men and 12 g / dl in women, then this condition is called anemia in medical language. Pregnant women and old people are more at risk of hemoglobin deficiency. The doctor says that the risk of hemoglobin deficiency can be removed by consuming a healthy diet.
Causes of Low Haemoglobin
Hemoglobin problem arises when the amount of protein in the body is not proper. Usually after pregnancy, the level of hemoglobin in a woman’s body decreases. There are many conditions due to which the level of hemoglobin is low. Keeping in mind the reasons given below, the risk of hemoglobin deficiency in the body can be reduced by taking some precautions.
- Stomach ulcer
- Iron deficiency
- Multiple myeloma
- Vitamin deficiency
- Donating blood
- Sickle cell anaemia
- Bleeding wound
- Bleeding from the bladder
- Genetic abnormality
- Excessive bleeding during periods
Symptoms of Low Hemoglobin
When the amount of hemoglobin in the body is low, you can experience many symptoms in yourself. This mainly includes:-
- Panic attacks
- To be weak
- To be irritable
- Feeling tired
- Cold hands and feet
Risk Factors of Haemoglobin
Many problems can arise due to the lack of hemoglobin in the body such as: –
- Chest pain
- getting colder
- heart diseases
- cold hands and feet
- Stiffness and pain all over the body
- more pain during periods
- Kidney and liver diseases
Diagnosis of Haemoglobin
To diagnose the deficiency of hemoglobin in the body, doctors first do a physical examination of the patient. Also, may ask the patient to go for some tests.
- complete blood count
- urine test
- blood iron deficiency test
- Testing for Vitamin B12 and Vitamin B9
Treatment of Haemoglobin
Hemoglobin can be treated in many ways. The treatment of hemoglobin depends on its cause. Doctors can adopt many ways to treat hemoglobin according to the requirement:
- If there is a deficiency of hemoglobin in a person’s body, then as a treatment, the doctor may suggest injections of vitamins every month. Also, can suggest taking tablet supplements.
- Doctors recommend injecting B12 when there is a deficiency of Vitamin B12 in the body. Vitamin B12 can be given by mouth or through injection if there is an extreme deficiency of vitamin B12.
- If there is a deficiency of iron in the body, then doctors recommend taking iron supplements. Generally, during pregnancy, a woman is deficient in iron as well as other nutrients, in which case doctors recommend her to take supplements.
- If the reason for the decrease in hemoglobin is nutritional deficiency, then the doctor suggests making changes in the diet and consuming foods rich in vitamins.
Hemoglobin Level Chart 2022 By Age
|Ages and Genders||Normal Hemoglobin Levels (gm/dL)|
|Newborn||17 – 22|
|One (1) week||15 – 20|
|One (1) month||11 – 15|
|Children||11 – 13|
|Adult Males||14 – 18|
|Adult Women||12 – 16|
|Men After Middle Age||12.4 – 14.9|
|Women After Middle Age||11 – 13.8|
Hemoglobin Level Chart- FAQs
Higher than normal hemoglobin levels can be seen in a person living at high altitudes and in a person who smokes.
A low hemoglobin level is referred to as anemia or low RBC. A lower-than-normal number of RBC is referred to as anaemia and hemoglobin levels reflect this number.
Please refer to the above table to check the normal hemoglobin levels as per age.
Hemoglobin is usually detected with the help of a complete blood count (CBC) test by giving a blood sample.