Blood Sugar refers to the amount of Glucose present in the blood of a person at a certain time. This Blood Sugar should always remain in a healthy range and if it falls too low or gets too high then it could be life threatening. According to many health institutions, the Blood Sugar should be in the range of 80 to 120 mg/dL. If the levels of Blood Sugar fall below this range then the patient is said to have low blood sugar.
If the levels of blood sugar exceed this range then it is said that they have a high blood sugar. Low Blood Sugar is medically known as Hypoglycemia and high blood sugar is known as hyperglycemia and it can lead to Diabetes if not treated on time. Hypoglycemia is also more common in people with diabetes because of taking too much medication, skipping meals or exercising more than usual.
Hypoglycemia can be fatal if the levels of Blood Glucose become extremely low. Low Blood Sugar can sometimes occur in conjunction with other conditions but this is extremely rare.
Low Blood Sugar
Low Blood Sugar or Hypoglycemia is a condition in which the levels of Blood Sugar or Glucose fall below the normal range. If this condition is not treated immediately then it can result in life threatening conditions. Hypoglycemia presents with a set of symptoms that are easily noticeable and thus the patient can be treated immediately.
There are many ways to treat Low Blood Sugar and immediate relief can be provided to the patient by home remedies. If Low Blood Sugar is becoming a common occurrence then a long term treatment plan will be formed aimed at the root cause of Low Blood Sugar.
Low Blood Sugar can be treated with lifestyle changes and taking care of your doses of medication. The article given below will help you to identify the symptoms of low blood sugar so that you can get the necessary treatment immediately to avoid fatal conditions.
Causes of Low Blood Sugar
Low Blood Sugar can occur due to a variety of reasons and it is mostly seen in patients with Diabetes. The levels of Blood Sugar are affected by a variety of reasons and the most common of these causes are given below.
- Taking a lot of insulin
- Drinking a lot of alcohol
- Going to a high altitude place
- Skipping meals
- Certain medications can also cause low blood sugar such as quinine
- Excessive and sudden physical activity
- Certain medical conditions such as hepatitis, adrenal gland disorders etc.
- A tumour which increases the production of insulin
- Hormonal deficiencies
- Changes in the diet of the person
- Excessive medication for high blood pressure
Symptoms of Low Blood Sugar
Low Blood Sugar in an individual can easily be identified by a variety of symptoms. These symptoms occur when the levels of Blood Glucose start falling in the person. Some of the common symptoms of low blood sugar are given below.
- Unexplained Fatigue and pale skin
- Hunger with irritability and anxiety
- Shaking, excessive sweating and dizziness
- Mood changes, headache and difficulty in sleeping
- Skin tingling, blurry vision, cloudy thinking
- Loss of consciousness, seizures or coma
- Loss of coordination and slurred speech
- Nightmares and Difficulty in concentration
- Fast heartbeat and heart palpitations
Treatment of Low Blood Sugar
Low Blood Sugar can be easily treated if it is diagnosed at time. The treatment usually involves raising the levels of blood glucose to the normal range. This will improve the symptoms and also reduce any fatal risks to the patient. The following treatment methods may be used to treat Low Blood Sugar.
- You can take a glucose tablet to raise your glucose levels rapidly if you need immediate relief. Remember to take only 15 gm of carbohydrates at a time.
- If your blood sugar does not improve after the medicine then eat some food containing at least 15 gm of carbohydrates and it should not exceed this limit.
- Avoid taking your insulin shot for sometime until your blood sugar levels improve.
- If the person is unconscious then call an ambulance immediately and do not put anything in their mouth.
- If you know how to use a glucagon injection and if it is available then use it to raise your glucose levels.
Web Stories You May Like:
Home Remedies of Low Blood Sugar
Low Blood Sugar can be treated at home if the symptoms are not severe. You can use the following methods in order to raise your blood sugar levels up to the normal range.
- Peanut Butter- You can eat a spoonful of peanut butter to raise your blood glucose levels if your symptoms are not so severe.
- Oral Rehydration Solution- A juice of a high sugar fruit can be given to the person in order to raise their blood sugar levels immediately.
- Honey or Maple Syrup- If the person has trouble eating any solid foods then you can also give them honey or maple syrup in order to raise their glucose levels.
- Biscuits and crackers- If the patient is not experiencing any severe symptoms and if they are able to eat well then their blood glucose levels can be increased by giving them biscuits or crackers.
- Grapes- You can even eat grapes or grape juice in order to raise your blood sugar levels as it contains a high amount of glucose.
- Bananas- Bananas are also a high source of glucose and other nutrients which can raise and maintain your blood glucose levels at an optimum level.
FAQs Related to Low Blood Sugar
Low Blood Sugar or Hypoglycemia is a condition in which the levels of Blood Sugar or Glucose fall below the normal range. It can be a life threatening condition if not treated immediately.
Low Blood Sugar Levels can be caused by a variety of reasons. The most common one is taking too much insulin as part of your medication or skipping your meals.
You can treat low blood sugar at home by following the methods mentioned above in the article. If these methods do not work then you will need to contact your doctor immediately.
3 thoughts on “Low Blood Sugar – Causes, Symptoms & Treatment”
The narration of pointwise is so clear and being I am a Diabetic on insulin management, my doctor being endocrinologist he use to treat me very timely response via emails .I too always in close touch with my doctor your detailed explanation is quite satisfactory nd essential to those in needy. REGARDS
Very nicely explained about low sugar level and remedies, with solutions to control the situation,
Thanks a lot.
I am a Type 2 Diabetic,and have been having a,challenging time with my Diabetes Management. While in theory the management of it is/should be fairly easy,the managing is not always so easy.Mainly due to external factors.