Tramadol Hydrochloride is a pain medication used to treat moderate and severe pain. It can be taken through the oral route or by injection. It gives immediate pain relief and can be used along with paracetamol. It is an extremely strong medication that is used only when other medications fail to give any relief to the pain. The drug acts by acting on the brain and spine of the individual and blocking the pain channels and thus decreasing the pain that you feel.
When Tramadol HCL is used for long periods of time then it can lead to the development of habit and the users can then indulge in illegal drug travel. The drug can also lead to the development of withdrawal symptoms if it is stopped abruptly hence it is better to gradually reduce the dosage of the drug before stopping it. It is unlikely that you will form a dependence on the drug if you are just using it for your pain.
Tramadol HCL is an opioid drug that is used to treat moderate to severe pain which cannot be treated by other medications. Any kind of pain caused by any cause such as an infection wound or after an accident is not getting relieved by any other medication. This medication can lead to various side effects which makes it difficult to administer. The medicine cannot be bought over the counter and you will need to have a prescription of the medicine in order to buy it from the medical store.
The Tramadol HCL medication is available in the form of capsule, solution, tablet, suspension or extended release. You can take the medication according to your preference and take the correct dosage of the medication. If you increase or decrease the dosage without the permission of your doctor then it can lead to the development of various side effects.
Uses of Tramadol HCL
The Tramadol HCL can be used for various conditions but it is most commonly used to treat pain. It can be used in the following conditions.
- It can be used in acute conditions to treat acute pain. Any pain medication works best if it is taken at the first sign of pain.
- It can also be prescribed in sleep disorders such as refractory restless leg syndrome which does not respond to other medications.
- This medication can also be prescribed for people who require pain reduction throughout the day because of their condition.
- It can also be used to treat chronic pain in diseases such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and other painful conditions to decrease the symptoms.
Side Effects of Tramadol HCL
The Tramadol HCL is a very strong medicine thus it comes with many side effects. If it is not administered with care then it can lead to severe side effects. Some of the most common side effects are given below.
- You can develop an allergic reaction to the Tramadol HCL which will be evident if you develop rashes, hives, swelling in your face and in your neck. Immediately visit your doctor if you notice any of these symptoms.
- It can also lead to short breaths, shallow breaths, sighing and breathing which stops during sleep. This is a serious side effect which can even lead to the death of the patient.
- The patient may also feel light headedness and a weak pulse which means that the drug is interacting with other organ systems too.
- Prolonged use of the drug can lead to the development of seizures in patients which can lead to death if they are not taken care of immediately.
- The patient may also feel agitation, irritability, muscle stiffness, twitching, incoordination and other conditions as side effects of the drug.
How to Use Tramadol HCL
- The Tramadol HCL should be taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. You should follow all the steps as instructed by your doctor.
- Make sure that you only take the prescribed amount of the drug and do not take a higher amount of it.
- Do not share your medication with anyone as it can lead to the development of addiction in the other person.
- This medication can be taken orally or it can be injected into your system. The mode of administration will be determined by your doctor according to your needs.
- You should not take any other opioid medication along with this as it can interact with them or it can disrupt their action.
- Do not crush the tablet or break it into pieces in order to take it as this can lead to death.
- Even one extra dose of the medication can lead to death so its dosage must be checked properly and should not exceed the limit set by your doctor.
Precautions of Tramadol HCL
Since the Tramadol HCL is a highly potent drug it should be used with a lot of precautions. Some of the important precautions of the disease are given below.
- It should not be taken by people who are already suffering from a seizure disorder or who are on antidepressants as it increases the risk of developing seizures.
- It should also not be administered to suicidal people as it can lead to addiction in these people.
- It should not be taken by pregnant or breastfeeding women as it can pass through the barriers and can have an adverse effect on the child.
- Improper dosage of the medication can result in death of the person as it slows down the breathing rate and the heartbeat.
- Children below the age of 12 years should also not take this medicine as it is habit forming.
- It should not be mixed with other medications and alcohol without the advice of your doctor.
FAQs Related to Tramadol HCL
This medication is used for the treatment of chronic and severe cases of pain which do not get resolved with other medications.
Tramadol HCL is a very fast acting medicine and it can relieve the symptoms within an hour of its administration. If it is injected in the body then it can show its effect within half an hour.
The Tramadol HCL has many side effects and all of them are listed in the above article for the readers to get a clear picture regarding this medication.
1 thought on “Tramadol HCL – Uses, Precautions, Side Effects and Other Details”
I took Tramadol for years, no side effects, my head felt normal unlike with other pain medications. Suddenly my PCP stopped the medication using a schedule to get me off the medication. I really never got a clear answer as to why he was taking me off the Tramadol, said he would be retiring and I would not find another doctor to write the prescription. I now continue with knee pain in both knees, back pain, tingling in my toes. I did
Not abuse the drug but he would not allow me to take. No end to be pain free!